Thursday, November 16, 2006

More Manila Trips and Ramblings 3

(this is the last entry from my other blog that i'm reposting here)

New Po Heng Restaurant serves authentic Hokkien-style lumpia, which was served during the Binondo Food Wok. The same Chinese guy (who's probably the owner) whom I saw during the food wok was there and immediately asked us if we would buy "lohng-pia." We just politely declined and got bottled water instead. Soothing Chinese music floated from the speakers and we took our time contemplating where to go next. I could see that my mum was clearly tired and she looked ready to snap (we were walking for three and a half hours already by this time) so I was of two minds whether to continue walking or just take a taxi home. The look on my mum's face really had me wary! But she assured me that it's ok to continue walking and so, we decided to cross Jones Bridge again. I thought we would be continuing over to the bus stop (which was VERY FAR from where we were) but then right at the end of Jones Bridge was Intramuros already so we entered through one of the wall's arches and went up to the wall. We were on the strip where the Lyceum, San Juan de Letran and Manila High School are located. Anyway, we just walked along some parts of the wall and went down the ramp that was across from the Lyceum. There were history markers at the gate of each school we passed, and each mentioned that where the schools are now are the former sites of three of the six churches that were destroyed in the Battle of Manila. There were seven actually, but only San Agustin survived. And for the life of me, I could not remember those churches' names! Oh, well. There WILL BE another time.

And so we walked for a bit more and found ourselves standing in front of McDonald's. I remember seeing this while on a calesa ride when Yunhee was here, and thinking what a shame that a modern structure is inside Intramuros. Somehow it looks strange to the Spanish colonial period atmosphere. We decided to have merienda there and rest our legs as well before we went home. It was such a nice feeling to be able to wash my hands and face in the restroom after a long walk. At least I won't feel grungy by the time we went home.

We still had a little bit more of an adventure after we left McDonald's. We didn't know exactly where the buses going to Taytay would stop, so it took us quite some time before we got on one. We even passed through the Manila City Hall towards the LRT. I couldn't help but feel creeped out walking in there. I've read that the Manila City Hall looks like a coffin if viewed from above, with the clock tower as the candle. Click on this link to see for yourself.

After ten more minutes we finally got on a bus. The end.

At the first part or this series you might have noticed that I only mentioned the things I did for that vacation until Thursday. Well, it's because by the time get got home on Thursday afternoon I was so walked out so a Friday night out was out of the question. But then, walking around Manila was such an exhilarating adventure that now I can't wait for the next one. I'm already planning it, by the way.

1 comment:

  1. I really cannot figure out why Intramuros Administration does not impose certain architecural guidelines regarding new structures being built within this walled city.

    I bet these walking tours are good for your mom as long as she wears very comfortable walking shoes. Also, bring a payong and pamaypay for her always :)

    ReplyDelete

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!