Friday, July 17, 2009

postcards

it is said that sending postcards is a dying art. living in the digital age, when people find sending e-mails more convenient than walking over to the nearest post office, i am inclined to agree. coz whenever i travel, my friends would receive long, and i mean looooooong emails from me telling them all about my latest escapades. and then when i started blogging, there was no looking back. those of you who have been following my blog would know how long some of my posts are. all that i've written would not fit one half of a postcard. but i also believe that sending postcards or letters by snail mail gives a more personal touch from the sender.

so call me old-fashioned, but even before i took writing emails and blogging seriously, i loved sending postcards to friends whenever i go out of town. when i was staying with my uncle and his family in new jersey seven years ago, i even went to new york city just to mail some friends new york postcards. this is so that they would have that "authentic feel" of new york city. ya know, with the new york stamp and all. i felt that if i mailed them from new jersey it would feel fake. hehe. but that's just me. btw, my uncle's family lived in that part of nj just across manhattan, so it was easy to get to nyc.

i also love receiving postcards and letters in the mail, so another time, i ordered... err, requested some friends to send me some snail mail when i was away for quite some time. considering the length of time mail goes out from the philippines, i made sure that they sent me the cards one month at most before i had to go back home. am i demanding or am i demanding? lol! but really, receiving something in the mail is such a nice suprise. that feeling of anticipation when i open the mailbox, and then i see something from a close friend with my name on it. now what a nice surprise that would be! however, love letters from companies that bill me so do NOT count. ;-P

a part of my postcard collection i unearthed one day while spring cleaning


one time i was thinking to myself that while my friends are receiving postcards from me, why not i, too? it would be something really different. so i made it a point from then on to send postcards to myself as well from my out of town trips instead of just buying them to send to friends or add to my collection. at present, i have a grand total of 3 postcards i sent to myself. heheh. here's one that i sent in 2007.



i'm just greeting myself here :D

now it may seem strange for someone to send postcards to oneself. i dunno, but personally aside from that exciting feeling of receiving something in the mail, it is also my way of getting a souvenir from my travels without having to collect tickets (bus, museum, plane, train), brochures, newsletters, pamphlets, etc. Not that i don't have those, i do, but they only accumulate a lot of dust and take up so much space. and i simply cannot find the time to do a scrapbook of my travels so i end up throwing them away (not without keeping them for years first). and so, collecting postcards is the way to go. getting the stamp with the postcard is an added bonus as well.

dyou have a postcard/snail mail story? feel free to share :)

happy weekend, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. send me your address and i'll mail you postcards.

    when i go out i buy duplicate postcards, one for me and one for give-away.

    i love writing and receiving anything via snail mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send your address to me ate and I'll send you a postcard.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. uyyyy siguro talagang gawain mo yan. Siguro pinapadalhan mo rin sarili mo ng flowers pag Valentine's Day hahaha loko lang mare.

    Ako naman nagko-collect ng fridge magnet. I'm looking forward to receiving my Eiffel Tower fridge magnet from a friend who went home for his annual leave in France! Yun kung di nya nakalimutan hehe Yung mga accounts ko dito pag sinasabihan ako na magbabakasyon sila hirit ko palagi "hey buy me a fridge magnet!" haha

    Syempre mas maganda sana kung talagang nakapunta ako sa mga lugar na yun pero sige lang hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dati pinapadalan ako ng cards nung may kras sa akin. Natigil na kasi iba na kras nya

    ReplyDelete
  5. ate c, i love getting postcards, too! my boyfriend sends me 1 each time he leaves for another country.

    it's really a dying thing na, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so lurve snail mail... not really a fan of postcards but I lurve scenery with human touch ,especially if the touch is from a friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha... that's a really cool idea... sending postcards to yourself. :)

    But you know what? In my recent travels, I don't see too many postcards for sale anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still do sent out postcards, especially sa office mates - pang-inggit... heheee.

    I also do buy a bunch and scan them, makes better presentation ng trip interpersed with photos... back up pictures. Sometimes I use scanned images as e-postcards!

    Great post... no snail mail/postcard maybe be dying art but not totally dead... sabi mo nga the personal touch...

    http://www.jak-onthewayto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just started doing this since this month. I send a postcard every week to someone I miss so much. Pareho pala tayong old fashion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. filmasons: i like teh idea of making your own postcard. talagang may personal touch. :)

    kikit: wow, every week?katuwa naman. sarap magpadala ng postcards, no? salamat pala sa dalaw :)

    ReplyDelete

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!