Saturday, April 28, 2007

Books, Treats, and a Rat

One boring day in Baldwin Park about two weeks ago, I got so... bored in my lola's house so I decided to take a walk. As usual, I didn't have any clue on where to go so the first thing that came to my mind was the nearby Morgan Park. I'd planned on just walking over there and stay put for a while in one of the benches and just go people-watching. But when I rounded the corner to the park, I saw the library across the street and, ding! I decided to go there instead in the hopes of being able to go online and check my email.

When I arrived at the library, I found out there was something better--a bake and book sale! Now, where else can I find an event such as this? The prospect of buying a good book (the older, the better) that's cheap as well as yummy, gooey treats beckoned more than getting my hands on a keyboard. Baldwin Park's Friends of the Library organized this event for the benefit of the... well, the library, of course. =) As I entered the door, the baked goodies on the table greeted me first. I chatted a bit with the woman on the table and bought a brownie before entering the book sale.

Oh, there were lots of books to choose from--paperbacks, hardcovers, novels, self-help, romance, religious, children's books, and so on. It took me quite some time to choose a book, though the promo was 10 paperbacks for $1 or 15 cents if you buy just one; for hardcovers, it's only 5o cents per book or $1 for 4 unless it's individually priced. I finally chose one paperback (religious) that came from the library of a certain Mr. Charles ... (I forgot his surname but it's on the seal on the book's cover). As of now I haven't finished reading the book but it's a really good one.

Anyway, I came out with my purchase and chatted for a bit more with the baked goodies lady before finally heading for home, but not until after I bought a homemade chocolate cupcake topped with chocolate frosting and tiny sugar flowers.

You might think it weird, but as I walked home, I saw some kids going home from school and for some reason I didn't want to walk past them so I crossed the street to avoid them. *sigh of relief*

It seems that my sigh of relief was too soon, because by then there were two new kids walking towards me. It'll be too much if I cross the street again to avoid them so I walked on. I haven't so much as walked past the two guys when one of them asked me the strangest thing I've ever heard, that I didn't have the time to react:

"You want a rat?"

6 comments:

  1. Books! I want books! I am a book addict. You're so in heaven! At may bonus pa h? Those treats sounds yummy especially if its homemade. Uwi namin :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish they have the same thing here in Manila -- sale books and baked goods :)

    I've a feeling those kids caught a rat along the way before meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi abbie! ganda talaga nung nabili kong book. at grabe ang bargain no? kung marami lang akong lugar sa maleta ko marami akong bibilhing libro hehe. =)

    i wish so too, senor! seems like the libraries in manila aren't put to good use that much.

    weirdo talga nung question sakin na yun. if i'm not mistaken they were carrying the rat in a cage. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. baka naman hindi pesteng rat talaga yun

    my ate has a new pet looking like a large rat called a buut

    cloud rat it is. nocturnal, herbivorous, and is like a cat in size

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always wanted to bake... but i dont have that much resources! in short... i dont have an oven! LOLs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ey tutubi! muka nga naman di pesteng daga yun... grabe hah anlaki naman nyang daga ng ate mo pero at least herbivorous! hehehe. saan nanggaling yun? =)

    oi yatot! sige pagbake ka nalang namin ni donsie! nyahahaha! =) pwede ka magbake using an oven toaster, merong mga ready to bake mixes na paggagamitan mo nalang nun. =)

    ReplyDelete

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!