Tuesday, March 20, 2007

usapang kamatis

Monday, October 16, 2006

last night we had a late-night grocery spree. my brother and i went to the veggies section to get some tomatoes. the tomatoes were the native kind and... dirty. as in with bits of dirt.

"dirty, dirty, dirty," i muttered to my bro in my best british accent while i took my place beside a short guy wearing a green polo shirt and proceeded to pick out tomatoes.

the short guy turned to look at me a few beats later and said, "if they still have dirt on them, it means that they're still fresh as they came straight from the farm."

ooh, ooh-kay. "oh, ok." i smiled at him and continued to choose firm ones. fresh. farm. yeah, right. i rolled my eyes inwardly. kung hindi ka lang cute jan...

my mum came over, took one look at the tomatoes and announced, "ano ba yan, ang liliit! magkano?"

54 pesos a kilo.

"ano?! ibalik mo yan. merong malalaki sa kabila na mas mura pa."

i made sure to look around first for the short green guy before pouring the tomatoes back into the basket. he wasn't around anymore.

goodbye, tomatoes.

4 comments:

  1. where could he have gotten the idea that if they were kinda dirty or soiled they would still be fresh? my mother told me that the cost of food nowadays continue to increase.

    hey, thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sexy mom!

    i'm wondering about the same thing. but then the tomatoes were still green so maybe they really just came from the farm. and as for the prices, i'm painfully aware of that as my mum makes me and my bro do the groceries ourselves these days. oh well.

    i love your entries, btw. will be dropping more often. link you up. too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sidney!

    i have to admit (a bit grudgingly, hehe) the old adage holds true. =)

    ReplyDelete

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!